Firefighters rip apart roof to reach Spring Valley attic fire

Posted at 5:56 AM, Nov 04, 2016
and last updated 2016-11-04 11:23:32-04
SAN DIEGO – A mother and her two daughters are safe after a fire broke out in the roof of their Spring Valley home Friday morning. 
According to San Miguel Fire District officials, the fire broke out at around 2 a.m. in the 900 block of Ramona Avenue. A woman was headed out to work when she smelled something burning and spotted a black spot in the ceiling and called 911. 
Responding firefighters had to tear through most of the ceiling and insulation to reach embers that were burning inside the attic and extinguish them.
The mother, her two daughters and their pets were forced out of the home. The Red Cross is assisting them with temporary housing.