News

Actions

Candle sparks Mira Mesa house fire

Posted: 4:48 PM, Dec 04, 2015
Updated: 2015-12-05 00:48:22Z
Candle sparks Mira Mesa house fire
Candle sparks Mira Mesa house fire

A fire apparently sparked by an unattended candle engulfed a Mira Mesa home Friday and scorched a next-door house before crews extinguished the flames.

The non-injury blaze in the 8600 block of Lynx Road erupted about 11:30 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

Crews arrived to find heavy smoke and flames pouring out the front windows of an unoccupied single-family residence, SDFRD Capt. Joe Amador said.

The intense flames soon spread to an adjacent home, but firefighters were able to douse them before they fully enveloped it, the captain said.

The personnel had the blaze under control within about 15 minutes.

Investigators concluded the likely cause of the fire was a candle left burning in the more extensively damaged home, Amador said. They set the total estimated monetary losses at about $350,000.