News

Actions

Fire destroys home in Spring Valley

Posted at 11:34 PM, May 09, 2017
and last updated 2017-05-10 02:48:59-04

Six people lost their home Tuesday night after a fire started in their attic. Firefighters were called out to the 1100 block of Grand Avenue in Spring Valley shortly before 8 p.m.

They say three adults and three juveniles lived in the house. The mother told us only one of her sons was inside at the time of the fire. No one was hurt.

Their neighbor Josh Zavala saw the flames and raced out of his door to help.  He grabbed a hose and attacked the fire on the roof before fire fighters could arrive.

“I stayed out there for a good 10 to 15 minutes hosing where I saw the flames,” Zavala said. “I definitely put the flames out on the roof. it was stopped after I finished.”

The Red Cross is helping tonight. Firefighters say they also rescued three lizards and a snake from the home.

They have not determined the cause of the fire.