SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - Whether you're active duty military or a civilian, there are rules to follow to keep your car from being towed.
California Vehicle Code and San Diego Municipal Code grant the City certain towing rights.
- Vehicles must be moved one-tenth of a mile every 72 hours
- If the 72-hour period passes, your car could be considered to have been abandoned
- Vehicles with registration expired over six months may be towed
- Vehicles with five or more unpaid citations may be towed
- The owner is responsible for storage and removal costs
If your car is towed, you can search Auto Return to find it.
The cars of U.S. Navy and Marine Corps personnel can be towed while they're on deployment, according to the Navy's Legal Assistance Department.
The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act offers some protection to servicemembers but it's better if they store their vehicles properly, officials said.
The Navy's Auto Hobby Offices can arrange for long-term parking of a vehicle at a discount for deployed servicemembers.
Naval Base San Diego 619-556-3320
Naval Air Station North Island 619-545-7235
MCAS Miramar Personal Storage 858-577-9940
Camp Pendleton Self Storage 760-385-1122