SAN DIEGO (KGTV)--Hurting yourself while cutting an avocado can be the pits.
The British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (BAPRAS) says doctors in the United Kingdom are seeing an increase in what has been dubbed "avocado hand" - where patients accidentally cut themselves while trying to cut open avocados.
Want to protect your fingers? The California Avocado Association recommends:
- Use a knife suitable for cutting an avocado. The knife should be large enough to reach the seed, so paring knives may not be your best option.
- Keep the avocado on the cutting board while cutting and de-seeding it. There's no need to pick it up.
- Don't "whack" the seed with a knife.
- Remove the seed with a spoon.
- Peel your avocado instead of scooping out the flesh.
If these tips don't protect your hands, you can rely on the pros to do the chopping at the Fallbrook Avocado Festival.