SAN DIEGO – A 43-year-old Anaheim man who is believed to have walked out of UC San Diego Medical Center three weeks ago has not been seen or heard from since.
Lance Perkins' parents are fearing the worst because their son needs daily medication.
Perkins, an art director, was in San Diego the last week of October working on a project for the Day of the Dead. His mother, Donna Perkins, told 10News she last spoke to her son Oct. 23.
“He was having blackouts and I said, ‘well, you better get to the hospital,’” Perkins said.
Perkins called 911 and an ambulance brought him to UCSD Medical Center in Hillcrest. This is where the story gets murky, with two versions of what happened next. One is that Perkins got tired of waiting to be seen in the ER and left around 10 p.m. However, his mother said someone in the ER told her the hospital released him.
His mother talked to two of her son’s friends to try and get clarification.
“They both got messages at 4 o’clock in the morning from Lance’s cell phone, but there was no message, it was just a wooshing sound,” she said.
What’s even more disturbing to his parents is what his cell phone records revealed.
“There were seven calls to 911. Two of them were between 14 and 17 minutes long. You could burn up or die before someone comes on the 911 system in San Diego.”
His parents say Lance has asthma and another medical condition that requires him to take medication every day.
If you have any information about Perkins, you are asked to call San Diego police.