News

Actions

202 skydivers in California set world record

Posted: 11:57 AM, Sep 30, 2015
Updated: 2015-09-30 18:57:14Z

Two-hundred-and-two skydivers from around the world set a record when they all linked up thousands of feet above Southern California. 

The Riverside Press-Enterprise newspaper reports the group formed the largest sequential skydiving formation of all time Tuesday afternoon over Perris. 

The jumpers grabbed each other's arms and legs and created a giant lattice-like configuration at about 7,000 feet.

The feat smashed the old record of 122. The group co-organized by Skydive Perris included jumpers from the U.S., Russia, Brazil, Italy, France and Germany.

Patrick Passe, a Frenchman who helped organize the jump, says about 80 percent of skydivers who show up for such record attempts are experts. The other 20 percent, he said, need coaching.