SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - San Diego is back on the list of top 50 American cities for bed bugs.
Pest-control company Orkin ranked major metropolitan areas based on the number of bed bug treatments performed between December 2016 and November 2017.
Baltimore topped the list for the second year in a row. After falling out of the rankings in 2017, San Diego returned at number 41. Tourist hot spot Las Vegas was number 45.
"The number of bed bug infestations in the United States is still rising," says Dr. Tim Husen, an Orkin entomologist. "They continue to invade our homes and businesses on a regular basis because they are not seasonal pests, and only need blood to survive," he says.
Bed bugs easily travel between locations on luggage, clothing and other belonging. They can be found in homes and public places like public transit, schools, and offices.
The top cities for bed bugs include:
- Washington, D.C.
- Los Angeles
- Columbus, OH
- New York
- San Francisco Bay Area
- Dallas-Fort Worth
Orkin recommends you inspect secondhand furniture before bringing into your home.
Travelers can use the acronym S.L.E.E.P to inspect for bed bugs:
- Survey the hotel room for signs of an infestation. Be on the lookout for tiny, ink-colored stains on mattress seams, in soft furniture and behind headboards.
- Lift and look in bed bug hiding spots: the mattress, box spring, and other furniture, as well as behind baseboards, pictures and even torn wallpaper.
- Elevate luggage away from the bed and wall. The safest places are in the bathroom or on counters.
- Examine your luggage carefully while repacking and once you return home from a trip. Always store luggage away from the bed.
- Place all dryer-safe clothing from your luggage in the dryer for at least 15 minutes at the highest setting after you return home.