Entertainment

Actions

Tom Cruise reveals 'Top Gun 2' to start filming soon

Posted: 8:22 AM, May 24, 2017
Updated: 2017-05-24 11:22:53-04
Tom Cruise reveals 'Top Gun 2' to start filming soon

SYDNEY (AP) - The Danger Zone may have gotten old and dusty, but Tom Cruise says he's about to fly back in.

The 54-year-old actor says the long-discussed sequel to "Top Gun" is a sure thing and should start shooting soon.

Cruise made the announcement Wednesday in response to questions from anchors on the Australian morning news show "Sunrise."

The actor said filming will likely begin within the next year. He added, "It's definitely happening."

Cruise has said in similar interviews that the film was in development and a strong possibility, but has not offered such clear confirmation.

The 1986 Reagan-era flyboy epic propelled Cruise to superstar status.

Jerry Bruckheimer, producer of the original, had been dropping hints too. He posted a picture of himself and Cruise on Saturday's 31st anniversary of the original's release.

As many San Diegans know, parts of "Top Gun" were shot in San Diego, but things have changed.

Kansas City Barbeque (600 Harbor Drive) has been rebuilt after burning down in 2008.

Also, the Oceanside home where Maverick's love interest Charlie lived received a facelift. After a few changes, volunteers restored the home's movie look last year.

Parts of the movie were also filmed in Bankers Hill and Point Loma.