News

Actions

Hoverboard bursts into flames inside Fla. home

Posted: 12:55 PM, Dec 03, 2015
Updated: 2015-12-03 20:55:16Z

BOCA RATON, Fla. - Pamela Levine, of Boca Raton, Florida, said her 11-year old daughter just missed being injured by her hoverboard Saturday night.

"She felt it get hot, she jumped off, and it was in flames," Levein said.

Levine quickly put water on the flames, and said the fire was out before firefighters arrived.

On Wednesday, she had crews inside her home cleaning up the mess left behind and repairing the damage to her kitchen.

One of the men helping with the mess, David Evanosky, said he just bought a similar hoverboard for his grandson.

"It's the hottest thing out there. All the kids want it. I've got three grandkids that want it," he said.

After seeing what happened at Levine's house, Evanosky said he plans on returning the toy.

"I'm going to return it. There's no way I'm going to let my grandson on that thing. I was going to buy two others," he said.

Levine admitted she was going to buy two more for her kids, but said she won't be buying anymore after what happened.

"We're never getting another one. We're done …," she said.

Michael Lasalle, assistant chief of Boca Raton Fire Rescue, said parents need to make sure a toy is UL approved before buying it for their kids.

"Some of the units are not safe. Be careful what you purchase," he said.

The news comes just days after a family in Louisiana lost their home to a fire caused by a hoverboard .