SAN DIEGO (KGTV) – Residents in a South Bay neighborhood were forced to evacuate Thursday night after a natural gas line broke.
Shortly after 8:15 p.m., San Diego Fire-Rescue Department crews responded to reports of a blowing 2-inch gas line in the 1200 block of Riviera Pointe Street, just west of Vista Del Mar School in the Riviera Del Sol neighborhood.
Six families had to leave their homes due to concerns of a possible explosion.
Eleven homes were advised to shelter in place during the response, according to SDFD officials.
Resident Victor DeGuzman, who was evacuated from his home, said, “The repairs are next to our house, so there’s a little bit of concern.”
After gas readings were conducted and other safety measures were carried out, evacuees were allowed to return to their homes.
Officials said crews working on a water line in the neighborhood struck a gas main, causing the leak.