Sister Ship Of Costa Concordia Docks In San Diego

Costa Deliziosa Currently On 100-Day, Around-The-World Cruise

A sister ship of the Italian cruise liner that struck a rock and capsized, killing at least 15 people, was in San Diego Monday.

» Images: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster» Sign Up For Breaking News Alerts» Like Us On Facebook

The Costa Deliziosa left Savona, Italy, Dec. 28 on a 100-day around-the-world cruise that will carry more than 2,300 passengers to 37 ports, according to Travel Daily News International.

The vessel was tied up at Broadway Pier after a northbound leg from Cabo San Lucas, according to the website of Costa Cruises.

The Costa Deliziosa will undergo a thorough U.S. Coast Guard safety inspection, which is routine for a foreign vessel entering the U.S.

Lt. Mike Hjerstedt of the U.S. Coast Guard said, "The inspectors will conduct crew competence drills. They'll conduct fire drills, they'll conduct boat drills. In fact, they'll launch all the lifeboats on the side of the pier."

The Costa Concordia has laid half-submerged near the Mediterranean island of Giglio since it struck a rock on Jan. 13. Beside the fatalities, 17 people are listed as missing.

Many of the mostly European passengers aboard said they haven't stopped thinking about the disastrous ending of the Costa Concordia.

"From the captain to the waiters ... everyone is thinking about Concordia," said German tourist Horst Hora.

The passengers on the Costa Deliziosa are expected to take part in evacuation drills when the vessel sails for Los Angeles later Monday evening.

Evacuation drills were not conducted before Costa Concordia went down off Tuscany, contributing to what many say was the deadly chaos when the ship capsized.

Passengers on the Deliziosa said their cruise liner was not inspected after the Concordia went down -- until now.

The U.S Coast Guard said Monday's inspections were necessary to ensure a similar incident doesn't happen in San Diego or any other U.S. ports that the vessel will visit during its cruise.

The ship's captain, Francesco Schettino, is under house arrest, accused of manslaughter and abandoning the vessel before all the passengers could be safely evacuated.

Print this article Back to Top