SAN DIEGO (KGTV) -- Mother's day events aren't the only exciting options this weekend. On Saturday moms and dads alike can trade in their lawn mowers and help "mow down pollution" in San Diego County.
To date, San Diego County residents have replaced 8,000 gas-powered lawn mowers with zero-emission electric-powered machines!
The annual Lawn Mower Trade-in event has successfully lowered harmful air pollution emissions by an average of 2.5 tons per year since 1999, according to the Air Pollution District.
Participants may trade-in a gasoline-powered lawnmower, chainsaw, hedge trimmer, and/or a string trimmer for an equivalent rechargeable electric device. Devices MUST be in working conditions and have all parts attached. Each item will be inspected.
- Each resident may trade-in four devices
- If possible, devices should be emptied of oil and gas
To find out where you can dispose of the oil and gas, visit Waste Free San Diego , or call 1-800-237-BLUE (1-800-237-2583).
WHAT WILL I GET FOR MY DEVICE?
The Air Pollution District has a list of the mowers you can choose from on Saturday. All range in price from $79.99 - $99.99. Check out the new equipment information here !
WHAT TO BRING:
- Photo ID and proof of San Diego County residency. You're in good shape if you've got a California driver's license and a utility bill or personal check that shows your name and San Diego County address.
No checks will be accepted, so bring cash or a valid credit card.
WHERE TO GO:
- Where: SDCCU Stadium / 9449 Friars Road
- When: Saturday, May 12
- Time: The event goes from 8 a.m. to Noon, but gates are open at 4 a.m. and organizers suggest arriving early
- Event map
- Parking information