Man Who Killed Tourist In Oceanside Sentenced

Eric Andreasen, 39, Convicted Of First-Degree Murder

A man who fatally stabbed a woman in an Oceanside shopping center parking lot after she refused to give him money was sentenced Monday to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Eric Russell Andreasen, 39, was convicted in March of first-degree murder, and jurors found true a special circumstance allegation of murder during a robbery in the death of 54-year-old Katherine Parker, who was in town visiting relatives.

The same jury decided that Andreasen was legally sane when he killed the victim.

A defense attorney argued that mental illness -- schizophrenia -- drove Andreasen to murder Parker on April 3, 2009.

As his sentencing began in Vista court, Andreasen interrupted Judge Aaron Katz and said, "Your honor, I have something to say. I was raped in prison. I tried to kill myself with a knife. I left suicide notes, and then I was raped again so I killed somebody else, and now I'm being raped again in this prison."

Katz admonished Andreasen, as deputies and his attorney all told him to be quiet. That silence didn't last for long.

As the judge informed the convicted killer of his right to appeal with a written notification, Andreasen interrupted again.

"I can't do any of that. I'm not smart enough," he said.

Again, he was told to be quiet and listen carefully to what the judge was saying, but that didn't happen.

"Well, if you want to catch these people when the septic tanks are flooded," Andreasen said, raising his voice. "We're getting (expletive) in our water, and also the bottled water."

In his closing argument in the sanity phase of the case, defense attorney Dan Segura told jurors that Andreasen had psychotic episodes and religious-based delusions.

But Deputy District Attorney Roy Lai said Andreasen was motivated by anger and was mad when the victim refused to give him money. Lai said. Andreasen had a history of approaching female strangers and demanding money, the prosecutor said.

Parker had just walked out of a Hallmark store in a shopping area on Vista Way when Andreasen grabbed her from behind and slashed her in the face, neck and stomach with a knife. She was airlifted to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Parker lived in the town of Lincoln, near Sacramento, and was in the North County to visit family when she was attacked.

"Today was just typical," said Albert Parker, the victim's husband, outside of court.

Parker said the sentencing represented closure for him and his family.

"I'm glad it's finally over and he's going where he belongs," he said.

Parker said his wife of 30 years was the best thing that ever happened to him, and added, "She was a very kind person. She didn't deserve any of this."

Parker explained that Katherine had been recovering from surgery and was feeling good the day she was killed. She'd lost 150 pounds and wanted to go shopping for new clothes and make-up.

"It was the first day I let her go shopping by herself," Parker said, his voice shaking.

When asked how he felt seeing his wife's killer in court, Parker said it was difficult.

"Because I don't want to see him. I'd like to hurt him, which I can't, so I'm glad he's going away," said Parker. "I hope they put him in a cell that the guy there just beats the hell out of him every night."

Andreasen has 60 days to notify the court if he plans to appeal. His lawyer didn't indicate whether that was a possibility, but did ask the judge to help his client get mental treatment during his incarceration.

Print this article Back to Top