Memorial service, funeral held for retired Navy SEAL killed in Libya

Tyrone Woods among 4 Americans killed


Friends and family gathered Thursday to remember a local man killed last week in an attack on a U.S. consulate in Libya.

The funeral procession for 41-year-old retired Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods started at Greenwood Memorial Park just after 9:30 a.m. The procession ended at the Chapel at Naval Air Station North Island, where a memorial service was conducted.

His body was later taken to Rosecrans National Cemetery, where he received full military honors.

Men with the Patriot Guard Riders, a group that escorted Woods' casket during the funeral procession, expressed their humble gratitude.

"Navy guys are always there for Navy guys. Marines are always there for Marines," said Patriot Guard member Loch David Crane.

None of the Patriot Guard Riders knew Woods, and Crane added, "It's just something you do as a last respect."

Organizer Steve McRoberts said he was full of pride but also sick with grief at what happened.

"A lot of sadness for all our troops that get killed; we deal with it on a daily basis, we deal with death," said McRoberts, a veteran of the U.S. Air Force.

Woods, who lived in Imperial Beach, was in the Middle East with another former Navy SEAL Glen Doherty, to provide security for American diplomats working in Benghazi. Woods and Doherty were among four Americans killed last week.

The funeral was a painful sight for the Patriot Guard Riders. William Lamouree, also with the group, called Woods a hero.

"He served the country very well," Lamouree said. "We're here to support him and his family.

When asked if the attack has been in successful in breaking down the U.S., Lamouree said, "Never."

"I just wish all of this killing and everything would just stop, but it's getting worse in the Middle East and the violence is growing," said Lamouree. "We're here to support and serve our country, and we'll do everything in our power to take care of our own."

The procession for Woods pulled out NAS North Island at 11:40 a.m.

As they weaved through San Diego, the Riders stopped traffic, keeping the funeral procession intact.

Unfortunately, for some of the Riders, they've made similar rides far too often. They get a "mission tag," a colorful dog tag engraved with the name of the fallen servicemember. The new ones handed out Thursday say "Tyrone S. Woods."

"This is a young man who gave his life for us," said Crane. "The only other person who has promised to do that came back in three days and this young man will never come back."

Print this article Back to Top