Fight at Lincoln Park apartment complex sends man to hospital

Man died as a result of injuries


A 44-year-old man blacked out during a fight with two other men behind a Lincoln Park apartment complex on Wednesday and died at a hospital a short time later, authorities reported.

One of the three participants in the fracas near a gas station in the 300 block of South 47th Street called 911 with his cell phone to summon help shortly before 11 a.m., according to San Diego police.

During the call, dispatchers heard men's voices shouting, "I'm going to get you," "Let me up" and "You all jumped me," SDPD Detective Gary Hassen said.

"Initially, it was a fight between one of the tenants in the apartment here," said Lt. Jorge Duran of the San Diego Police Department.

Duran said the tenant is the man who died. Another man, who is in police custody, also lives in the complex. The third man was just visiting.

Arriving patrol officers found one man on the ground, seemingly unconscious, with another on top of him and a third nearby. Medics performed CPR on the unresponsive man at the scene before taking him to Paradise Valley Hospital in National City, where he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.

His name was withheld pending family notification.

The two other men involved in the scuffle were detained for questioning by homicide detectives, Duran said. It was unclear in the early evening if they might face charges over the death.

A neighbor told 10News he wasn't surprised by what happened.

"[The neighbors] were arguing last night," he said. "It was around maybe 10 or 11 o'clock last night. We heard some people fighting for some keys."

Even though the man said he's often used to the fighting, he never thought it would end in a death.

"It makes me a little nervous because I have a family, too," he said. "I don't know who's living beside my house."

The man's exact cause of death won't be known until an autopsy is performed.

Police don't believe the incident is gang-related. 

Print this article Back to Top