'Collegetown Creeper' Arraigned For Alleged Crimes

Abraham Shorey Pleads Not Guilty

A suspect in a string of sexual assaults that terrorized an East Coast university two years ago pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges stemming from alleged crimes in the San Diego area, including an attempted rape.

Abraham Shorey, 25, was arrested earlier this month in San Diego after spending months on the run.

He was charged Wednesday with victimizing three women and one man in separate incidents last Aug. 7 in Ocean Beach, including the attempted rape to which he was allegedly linked through DNA evidence, said Deputy District Attorney Katherine Flaherty.

The prosecutor said Shorey faces up to 18 years in state prison if convicted of four counts of burglary and one count each of assault with intent to commit rape and attempted rape by force or violence.

Once the San Diego case is resolved, the defendant will be sent back to New York to face charges stemming from a string of home-invasion sex assaults in a neighborhood next to Cornell University, the prosecutor said.

Fox Broadcasting's "America's Most Wanted" profiled the so-called "Collegetown Creeper" case four months ago.

Following his May 5 arrest in Normal Heights, Shorey voluntarily provided a DNA sample, which matched genetic evidence left at the scene of last August's assault on Sunset Cliffs Boulevard, SDPD sex-crimes Sgt. David Nisleit said.

In that case, a 20-year-old woman awoke in her bed in the early morning to find a stranger on top of her, "about to sexually assault her," Nisleit said. She fought the intruder, prompting him to flee.

The sergeant declined to disclose how detectives were able to retrieve the crime-scene DNA evidence that allegedly implicated Shorey in the case.

The woman was uninjured by her assailant, who entered through an unlocked window.

The "Collegetown Creeper" gained access to his victims' residences in similar ways, according to investigators.

"He seems like the kind of a guy who was just kind of an opportunist," Nisleit told reporters Tuesday.

Shorey had been scheduled to be extradited tomorrow back to Ithaca, N.Y., and was returned to the San Diego jail when the DNA evidence came to light, Flaherty said.

Superior Court Judge David Szumowski set bail at $1 million and scheduled a preliminary hearing for June 7.

Print this article Back to Top