LAPD lifts tactical alert in connection to search for triple-murder suspect Christopher Dorner

Patrols to be in conducted in cars

LOS ANGELES - The LAPD Monday lifted a tactical alert that allowed supervisors to keep officers past their shifts in connection with the search for triple murder suspect Christopher Jordan Dorner, but motorcycle cops will continue patrolling in cars for better protection in case they encounter the embittered ex-officer.

KEY EVENTS: Search for Christopher Dorner
IMAGES: Incidents linked to Christopher Dorner

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa on Sunday announced a  $1 million reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the 33-year-old ex-LAPD officer, saying the money came from "business, unions, government, law enforcement and community groups."

Police Chief Charlie Beck said the massive reward was his wife's idea, calling it "the largest award ever offered locally."

LAPD Lt. Andy Neiman said this morning that hundreds of local, state, and federal investigators have been sorting through more than 600 clues in their search for Dorner.

Neiman urged anyone with information on Dorner's possible whereabouts to call 213-486-6860, or Crime Stoppers, 800-222-TIPS. However, anyone seeing Dorner should call 911 immediately, Neiman said.

On Feb. 3, Dorner allegedly gunned down the daughter and future son-in-law of the ex-police captain who represented him at a hearing that resulted in his dismissal from the Los Angeles Police Department. The bodies of 28-year-old college basketball coach Monica Quan and her fiance, 27-year-old Keith Lawrence, were found in his car in the parking structure of their Irvine condominium building.

The next day, Dorner allegedly posted a 6,000-word manifesto on Facebook, vowing to kill named LAPD officers and their families. Fifty Los Angeles police officers and their families are being watched, authorities said.

READ MORE: Full copy of Dorner's manifesto

On Thursday, Dorner was involved in a shootout with Los Angeles police guarding an officer's home in Corona, leaving an LAPD officer with a graze wound to the head, police said. About 20 minutes later, he allegedly fired on a pair of Riverside police officers stopped at a red light, killing one and wounding the other.

Riverside police on Sunday identified the slain officer as 34-year-old Michael Crain, an ex-Marine survived by his wife, Regina, and two children, Ian, 10, and Kaitlyn, 4. Crain left "an unforgettable impression" on everyone he met, Riverside police Lt. Guy Toussaint said.

Crain's funeral is set for Wednesday.

The search for Dorner, meanwhile, continues to include the area around Big Bear, where his torched pickup truck was found Thursday, but it has been scaled back.

An LAPD tactical alert that had been in effect over the weekend was lifted about 7 a.m. Monday. However, motorcycle patrols remained suspended by the LAPD as a security measure, according to the department.

Beck said Sunday that the crimes attributed to Dorner in the past week amounted to "an act of domestic terrorism."

"This is a man who has targeted those that we entrust to protect the public. This is not about capturing a suspect, this is about preventing a future attack, maybe a murder," Beck said.

Donors to the $1 million reward fund for information leading to Dorner's arrest and conviction include police officer associations in Los Angeles, Riverside, San Diego, Irvine, Long Beach and the Port of Los Angeles.

The Los Angeles Dodgers and entertainment conglomerate AEG contributed, as did United Firefighters of Los Angeles, the Association of Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputies, the FBI, First Watch, the city and county of Riverside and six anonymous donors, officials said.

Print this article Back to Top