Junior Seau lawsuits merged with Pennsylvania NFL concussion case
Family says hits led to Seau's brain injury
Last Updated: 248 days ago
PHILADELPHIA - A pair of wrongful-death lawsuits over the suicide of Pro Bowler Junior Seau have been consolidated with NFL concussion litigation in Philadelphia.
A key hearing in the case is set for next week, when lawyers for thousands of former players will try to keep the issue in federal court. The NFL wants the claims heard in arbitration.
The Seau lawsuits are being moved from California, where the 43-year-old linebacker died last year. His parents filed one suit and his four children the other.
They allege that violent hits throughout Seau's career caused traumatic brain injury, depression and ultimately his death.
The player lawsuits accuse the league of hiding known concussion risks, a claim the league denies.
Spokesman Brian McCarthy says the NFL doesn't plan additional comment before the April 9 hearing.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.