Warrants Detail Rancho Penasquitos Rapes Investigation

Leonel Contreras, William Rodriguez Accused Of Rapes Near 12600 Block Of Spindletop Lane

Search warrants obtained by 10News on Wednesday detail how police located two 16-year-old boys who are now accused of raping two teenage girls at knifepoint in a Rancho Penasquitos park during the Labor Day weekend.

Leonel Contreras and William Steven Rodriguez pleaded not guilty on Monday to 16 felony charges, including kidnapping, forcible rape and sodomy by force. They are accused of raping two 15- and 16-year-old girls at knifepoint at a park near the 12600 block of Spindletop Lane earlier this month.

10News learned that Rodriguez was arrested first. Detectives said he was living about 100 yards from where the rapes occurred but would not say if Rodriguez was living with family or friends.

An investigator told 10News they did not need a search warrant for the home where Rodriguez was because those living there cooperated with authorities and allowed them in.

The warrant reads, "Both victims positively identified William Rodriguez as one of the suspects who forced them to orally copulate him ... and who raped and sodomized them."

A confidential informant as well as Rodriguez identified the other suspect as being Leonel Contreras, according to the warrant.

The warrant also said, "Contreras admitted to his involvement in this case and admitted to sexually assaulting both female victims."

Detectives searched the National City home where Contreras lived with his family and confiscated a black hoodie, a knife block set from the kitchen counter and a black handle steak knife.

An investigator told 10News they did not need a search warrant for the home where Rodriguez was because those living there cooperated with authorities and allowed them in.

The warrants also detailed how the 15- and 16-year-old victims described the first moments they were attacked.

The warrants, which refer to the teenage victims as "Doe 1" and "Doe 2", read, "Suspect #1 placed the blade of a small black handled knife to Doe-2's throat. He told her not to move, and to 'Shut up…' Suspect #2 grabbed Doe-1 and told her not to yell. Doe-1 tried to get away by resisting."

Prosecutors on Monday said the 15- and 16-year-old girls had been attending a family party in the 12600 block of Spindletop Road and walked to a nearby park about 8:15 p.m. on Sept. 3, police said.

Deputy District Attorney Wendy Patrick told Judge Michael Smyth that the defendants -- both wearing jackets with hoods -- walked past the girls, then came up from behind and immediately ordered them across the street and into a secluded area.

The defendants ordered the girls to take off their clothes and took turns sexually assaulting them for 30 to 40 minutes, until family members of one of the girls started calling their names, Patrick alleged.

"This included every kind of rape you could imagine," the prosecutor told the judge on Monday.

The defendants threatened the girls before riding off on a bicycle that had been stashed in the bushes, Patrick alleged. As they departed, one of the boys told the alleged victims, "Don't scream, I don't want to have to hurt you," according to Patrick.

The teens -- who were charged directly in adult court -- were each ordered held on $5 million bail.

Patrick said 13 of the 16 charges carry a potential penalty of 25 years to life in prison, making the defendants' possible exposure 325 years to life behind bars if convicted.

A status conference was set for Sept. 19 and a preliminary hearing for Sept. 23.

Print this article Back to Top