Warrant: Minutemen Founder Knows Who Destroyed Migrant Camps

The founder of the San Diego Minutemen told police he was not involved in the destruction of three migrant camps near Rancho Penasquitos in January but knew who was, according to a search warrant unsealed Thursday.

Jeff Schwilk told San Diego police Detective Patrick Lenhart that he had not witnessed or participated in the vandalism and had only heard rumors.

Schwilk told the detective that he knew the people involved were remorseful for what they did, according to the search warrant ordered unsealed by Judge Jeffrey Fraser.

Detectives served search warrants at Schwilk's Oceanside residence and the residence of Julie Adams, who lives in Rancho Penasquitos.

Schwilk and Adams were prominent in the campaign calling for the migrant camps in McGonigle Canyon in Rancho Penasquitos to be razed, according to published reports.

The warrants were granted as part of the investigation into the migrant camp vandalism that occurred on Jan. 27.

The perpetrators damaged personal property belonging to the migrants, and sleeping bags, jackets and tents were cut up during the incident, police said.

Last month, a search warrant was also served on the Chula Vista home of Christie Czajkowski, the former spokeswoman for the San Diego Minutemen movement.

No charges have been filed in the case.

In court Thursday, Schwilk asked the judge to order the San Diego Police Department to return all property seized during the search of his home, including a computer and documents from the American Independent Party, of which he is the communications director.

Fraser ordered prosecutor Oscar Garcia to work with the police to return any items seized during the search that were not specifically requested.

The San Diego Minutemen's mission is to demand maximum border security and to oppose illegal immigration in all parts of San Diego County, according to its Web site.

Previous Stories:

Print this article Back to Top