SAN DIEGO - Two victims of San Diego's "Bolder than Most Rapist" say that while they are glad Alvin Quarles is headed to a state mental hospital, they still believe they should have gotten an earlier "heads-up" that he was being considered for release.
Quarles served half of his 50-year sentence on four counts of rape, six counts of burglary and two counts of robbery. The sentence was part of a plea deal reached in 1989, after his arrest on 61 counts related to sex crimes against women.
Cynthia Medina was one of those victims. She contacted 10News last year after checking on Quarles' status and learning he was set for release in November of this year. That triggered a flurry of activity in the case, including a judge's ruling that there was enough evidence to show Quarles might still be a sexually violent predator, and that there should be a trial to determine whether he should be sent to a state mental hospital.
That trial was set to begin July 22, but at the last minute, Quarles admitted he was still dangerous and agreed to hospitalization. The catch is he can ask for a release one year after his commitment.
"I'm pleased," said Medina on Monday outside the San Diego courthouse where Quarles was set for trial. "It really doesn't surprise me. I think he may have realized that his chances of being set free after the civil commitment trial were not very good."
Medina added, "It gives me great pride to say I have reached my ultimate goal. He is not out free on the streets."
She encouraged other crime victims to be vigilant.
"Do not put your blind faith in the system," Medina said. "Be aware that you too may find yourself many years later having to deal with something that should have been put behind you."
Medina was joined by nationally-known attorney Gloria Allred and another of Quarles' victims, Mary Taylor.
Taylor, who is the mother of two boys, said she has spent a good part of her life trying to keep the memories of her attack stashed away in a box.
"When I heard the news last spring that Quarles would be released 25 years early, I felt like the box fell off the shelf," she said. "I feel like I've spent the last year scrambling to figure out how to repack it and put it back on the shelf."
Taylor said she hopes that in the future the district attorney will give victims advance notice of the pending release of Quarles and other sexually violent predators.
"No community should have to live with this and know that somebody who has a history of doing this is there with the opportunity to do it again," she added.
Both women say they plan to stay up-to-date on Quarles' whereabouts and if he is ever considered for release again, they will be ready to testify against him.