Unattended stove sparks apartment fire

SAN DIEGO - A midday fire damaged two apartments at an Allied Gardens residential complex Thursday, displacing six residents, authorities reported.

Someone left a stove burning in a ground-level unit and it ignited the non-injury blaze in the two-story building in the 7700 block of Margerum Avenue about 12:45 p.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

It took crews less than 10 minutes to subdue the flames, which also caused smoke damage in a second-floor residence, SDFRD spokesman Maurice Luque said.

The American Red Cross was called in to help arrange temporary lodging for the three residents of the first-floor apartment -- a 65-year-old woman and her two grandsons, ages 15 and 10 -- and three others who live in the unit above.

Print this article Back to Top