NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Connecticut prosecutor leading the investigation into the Newtown school shooting says the gunman killed the 26 victims and took his own life within five minutes of shooting his way into the building.
Search warrants say the 20-year-old gunman, Adam Lanza, was found dead wearing a bulletproof vest and military-style clothing.
State's Attorney Stephen J. Sedensky III says Lanza killed all the victims inside Sandy Hook Elementary School with a Bushmaster .223-caliber rifle before taking his own life with a Glock 10 mm handgun. He says Lanza also had another loaded handgun with him inside the school as well as three, 30-round magazines for the Bushmaster.
A loaded 12-gauge shotgun was also found in the passenger compartment of the car Lanza drove to the school containing 70 shotgun rounds.
At the gunman's home, a bayonet and several swords were found.
Investigators discovered articles on other shootings and a holiday card containing a check made out to Lanza for the purchase of a firearm, authored by his mother, Nancy. And investigators found books about living with autism and Asperger's syndrome, as well as an NRA guide to pistol shooting.
Connecticut authorities released the warrants Thursday that investigators used to search the home and car of the gunman.
A judge granted a request by the prosecutor overseeing the probe to withhold some information, such as the name of a witness and serial numbers on some items found.
Lanza killed his mother inside their Newtown home on Dec. 14 before driving to Sandy Hook Elementary School, where his victims included 20 first-graders. He then committed suicide.
Investigators have publicly released few details, but Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said last week that additional information would be released at his request.
The search warrants had been kept secret under a judge's sealing order that expired on Wednesday.