Police: Woman shot, killed outside Capitol after attempt to ram White House gates

Police say incident not terror-related

WASHINGTON - The District of Columbia's police chief says the woman who led police on a chase from the White House to the Capitol is dead.

Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy Lanier told reporters Thursday evening that shots were fired in two locations. Near the Capitol, police killed the woman driving the black Infiniti with a young child inside. She said the child, who is about a year old, is in good condition and in protective custody.

Late Thursday evening, the Associated Press reported that officials identified the deceased woman as 34-year-old Miriam Carey of Stamford, Conn. Her relationship to the child in the car was not disclosed.

U.S. Capitol Police Chief Kim Dine said the incident is believed to be an isolated act unrelated to terrorism.
Police and witnesses say the unidentified woman tried to ram through a White House barricade with her car. According to police and witnesses, the woman then led officers on a chase that ended outside the Capitol in the 100 block of Maryland Avenue.

Two law enforcement officers -- a Secret Service agent and a Capitol police officer -- were injured in the incident but are expected to be OK.

Texas Congressman Michael McCaul, citing a Homeland Security Department briefing, said the woman was killed. Asked if she was armed, he replied, "I don't think she was. There was no return fire."

The entire Capitol complex was locked down for about an hour. According to ABC News, the initial alert came around 2:25 p.m. EST.

As the warning was sounded, the House abruptly went into recess and lawmakers left the chamber floor. The House had just finished approving legislation aimed at partly lifting the government shutdown by paying National Guard and Reserve members.

Across the street, people standing outside the Supreme Court were hurried into the court building.

The White House was quickly locked down after the incident, and the stretch of Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the compound was closed to pedestrians.

The gunfire comes two weeks after a deadly shooting at the Navy Yard, near the Capitol.

The police also said that the senators were told to come into the building and were in lock down on the Senate side of the building.

"We heard pops that sounded like shots," said Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa.

"We heard shots. They told us to get behind a car," said Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio.

Witnesses say at least 20 police cars were involved in chasing the vehicle toward Capitol Hill. One tourist said he walked toward the scene, curious about what was going on -- but the he "heard the gunfire" and hit the ground.

Authorities noted that the security perimeters at the White House and Capitol worked.

Print this article Back to Top