Search widens for suspect in Las Vegas Strip shooting

Ammar Harris sought in shooting, crash

LAS VEGAS - Police say they have a warrant for the arrest of a 26-year-old ex-convict identified as the prime suspect in a shooting and fiery crash that killed three last week on the Las Vegas Strip.

Police Capt. Chris Jones told reporters Monday that Ammar Harris faces three murder charges in the Thursday incident that killed the driver of a Maserati and a taxi driver and passenger.

Investigators believe Harris was the driver and the gunman who fired shots from a black Range Rover SUV into the Maserati.

District Attorney Steve Wolfson attended an afternoon news conference and afterward said he hoped Harris would surrender.

Wolfson called the case "of the highest importance," and said prosecutors are already working with police on the case.

Jones said billboard companies in Las Vegas were donating space to advertise the manhunt.

Police have widened their search to the southeastern U.S., where Harris used to live.

Public records show Harris lived in South Carolina and Georgia; was convicted in Atlanta in 2005 of marijuana possession; and was arrested in Miami in December on a reckless driving charge.

Harris also was arrested in June 2010 in Las Vegas on pandering, kidnapping, sex assault and coercion charges.

Print this article Back to Top