Ohio Greyhound bus crash: 34 injured after bus overturns along Interstate 75

LIBERTY TWP., Ohio -  

By: WCPO.com staff

At least 34 people were injured when a Greyhound bus with 51 passengers on board crashed on northbound I-75 early Saturday morning just north of State Route 129, WCPO-TV reported.

9 On Your Side confirmed Dwayne Garrett, 64 of Cincinnati as the driver of the bus that went off the interstate and overturned into a cornfield around 4 a.m. near mile marker 26.

Police said they believed Garrett experienced a medical event that caused him to lose control of the bus.

A representative of the Butler County Emergency Management Agency on the scene said 34 people were transported to area hospitals to be treated for injuries, which range from severe to moderate. Two people were transported to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center and four to Miami Valley Hospital via medical helicopter.

At 8 a.m., Ohio State Highway Patrol reported none of the injuries appeared to be life threatening.

Wendy Parks, Director, Marketing and Communications with the Atrium Medical Center, told 9 On Your Side the Warren County hospital received 14 patients from the crash with injuries ranging from back trauma to head and neck trauma.

"These injuries range from minor to serious," Parks said.

Another 14 people were transported to a West Chester hospital.

9 On Your Side's Shannon Kettler spoke with Christopher Lake, of Michigan, who was on the bus at the time of the crash.

Lake said he heard a woman scream at the driver "Wake up! Wake up!", and it was then he looked up and saw the driver slumped over.

Lake said the bus then went off the side of the road, hit a tree and rolled at least twice.

"Makes me thankful I'm still alive," Lake said.

Lake described seeing kids on board and witnessing injuries ranging from broken arms to broken legs. Lake, who was not hurt, was sitting by the bathroom on the bus.

"You appreciate life when stuff like this happens," Lake said.

When asked if Lake thought the driver fell asleep, he said he did not think so, describing the driver as "wide awake" when passengers first got on the bus, giving instructions as normal.

"He seemed fine," Lake said of the driver when they boarded.

Lake said he and others pulled together to help get everyone off the bus.

Greyhound brought in another bus to transport 14 uninjured passengers back to their Cincinnati station.

A spokesperson with the bus service earlier said the bus was transporting those passengers to Dayton, Ohio.

Garret was on duty for an hour before the crash occurred, the spokesperson confirmed. He worked for Greyhound for 15 years. The bus Garrett was driving had passed inspection 14 days before Saturday's crash.

The company set up a hotline number for family members to call to inquire about the status of crash victims. That number is 1-800-972-4583.

Ohio State Highway Patrol reopened all lanes of I-75 in the area of the crash. All southbound lanes were reopened after being closed for around two hours. A separate crash in the area closed the entrance ramp from State Route 129 to northbound I-75.

Print this article Back to Top