LOS ANGELES - A 14-year-old Los Angeles honors student has died after inhaling a computer keyboard dust cleaner, apparently to get high.
Her parents have told local news media that Aria Doherty died Monday night of an apparent heart attack. She attended Nobel Charter Middle School in Northridge, which sent grief counselors to campus Wednesday.
Her sister found her in bed with a can of compressed air cleaning product attached to her mouth.
Richard and Carolyn Doherty tell KCBS-TV that they'd warned their daughter about drug use.
It's the latest death from huffing, a popular practice with youngsters in which various household substances are inhaled to become intoxicated.
The Victorville Daily Press says 12-year-old Kristal Salcido of Hesperia died on March 3 after inhaling Freon from an air conditioner.