Boston federal courthouse evacuated due to bomb threat, police say
Threat comes amid reports of suspect arrest
Last Updated: 231 days ago
BOSTON - Workers are returning to a Boston federal courthouse that had been evacuated because of a bomb threat amid reports of a breakthrough in the marathon bombings investigation.
The U.S. Marshals Service in Washington says the courthouse was evacuated due to a bomb threat. Spokeswoman Nikki Credic-Barrett says authorities conducted a security sweep.
Court workers are now going back inside the building, about an hour after the evacuation.
Attorney Francis DiMento says he was in a hearing when someone came over the loudspeaker and announced a "code red" and told everyone to get out in a hurry.
Dozens of media members had gathered at the courthouse after media reports that a suspect in the bombing was in custody and was being taken to the courthouse.
Several media outlets had reported earlier in the day that a suspect was identified from surveillance video taken at a Lord & Taylor store between the sites of the two bomb blasts.
However, federal officials and the Boston Police Department denied that a suspect was apprehended.
Three people were killed and more than 170 were wounded after two explosions went off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.