Dragonman reality show death: Colorado family sues after pyrotechnic malfunction
Terry Flanell died during filming of pilot episode
Last Updated: 176 days ago
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The survivors of a Colorado woman who died during the filming of a reality TV show have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the producers.
Terry Flanell died July 14, 2012, while filming a pilot episode focusing on her family's Colorado Springs business, Dragon Arms.
"We signed a one year contract with them to make a show about my 87 military vehicles and machine guns it would have been some show," Flannel's husband "Dragonman" posted on his Facebook page.
The lawsuit says the opening sequence was to have Dragon Arms owners and employees walk through a cloud of smoke, but pyrotechnic devices that were used to create the smoke malfunctioned, and one hit Flanell.
"The accident was not gun related," Flanell's husband posted on his Facebook page.
The Dragon Man website advertises a shooting range, paintball park, and firearms sales and rentals.
"Despite this terrible tragedy...We are still OPEN year round and are busier than ever," the website states. "We thank you for all of your support!!"
Discovery Communications Inc. and Anthropic Productions Corp. are now facing a wrongful death and negligence lawsuit.
A phone number for Anthropic wasn't listed. A Discovery spokeswoman did not return a phone call seeking comment.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.