Police officer shot; SWAT standoff in Inglewood

INGLEWOOD, Calif. - An Inglewood police officer responding to a domestic dispute was shot Wednesday by a man who then holed up inside a home with at least two hostages inside.

The shooting was reported around 12:40 p.m. near 108th Street and Fifth Avenue.

"Earlier today our officers received a call of a family disturbance in the area here," Inglewood police Lt. Oscar Mejia said. "Upon arrival, the officers were confronted by an individual who engaged our officers in gunfire."

Mejia said two officers were hurt, but only one was believed to have actually been shot. The nature of the second officer's injuries was not immediately known.

The officers were both taken to Centinela Hospital Medical Center and were "doing fine," Mejia said. At about 5 p.m., the officer who had been shot -- apparently hit in the chest but saved by his bulletproof vest -- was transferred by ambulance to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, ABC7 reported.

Mejia said he did not know the details of initial call that brought officers to the scene, only that it was a "family disturbance." Witnesses told reporters at the scene that a teenage girl came out of the house screaming, then the suspect came out and dragged her back inside.

A Los Angeles County fire inspector said paramedics responded to the area in response to a shooting, but were not permitted to approach the scene due to the possibility of an active shooter. He said one shooting victim was apparently taken to a hospital by police.

The gunman holed up inside the home after the shooting, during which police did return fire. It was unknown if the suspect was injured.

Police said at least two hostages, both believed to be female, were inside the home with the suspect. Some initial reports from the scene indicated that as many as three other people were in the home -- two women and a 14-year-old girl.

Unconfirmed reports also indicated that officers have identified the suspect and hostages, and relatives of the gunman were brought to the scene to help coax the man out.

Mejia said negotiators were working to make contact with the gunman. He said the suspect apparently telephoned the Inglewood police station, "but we don't have any details on those conversations."

NBC4 reported that the gunman called the station and said he did not plan to come out alive.

A neighbor told a television news station that a man was firing a semi-automatic weapon from the home, which is apparently owned by a woman who was still believed to be inside the house. The witness said one officer was able to limp away after the shooting broke out, but another appeared to be unconscious and had to be carried away.

The witness said the shooting was likely the result of a domestic situation. She said brother of the woman who lives in the home contacted police and was shouting from a nearby street corner, asking police to get his sister out of the house.

"We would like to ask him to please surrender peacefully," Mejia said. "We do not desire anybody ... else to get injured."

Several homes in the neighborhood were evacuated, and Mejia urged residents who do not need to immediately return home to avoid the area.

Print this article Back to Top