Trial continues for two teens accused of raping girls at Rancho Penasquitos Park
Last Updated: 246 days ago
SAN DIEGO -
The parents of two teenage girls allegedly raped at a Rancho Penasquitos park last year took the witness stand Monday.
Two separate juries, in the same courtroom, continued to hear testimony as the trial continued in the case of two teenage girls raped at knifepoint.
Leonel Contreras and William Rodriguez, both 16 years old, are accused of raping the girls.
According to authorities, the girls were dragged into the bushes and raped at a park off Spindletop Road. The alleged incident shocked and startled the neighborhood.
On Monday, the accused teens sat and listened with very little movement as the mother of one of the teenage victims took the stand.
Identified in the courtroom only as the mother of Jane Doe 1, she spoke about her and her husband searching for her daughter and friend until the girls jumped into the car.
When the mother turned on the car light inside, she said she saw the girls' horrified looks and then heard about their gut-wrenching ordeal.
On the witness stand, the mother said the girls looked "terrified, ruffled, their hair was a mess."
She said they were "pale, scared and looked like ghosts," and started crying.
The mother recounted how she asked them if someone had hurt them. She said the girls said, "Yes." She then asked if they had been raped, they said, "Yes."
Contreras is accused as being the one holding the knife during the attacks.
Both are being tried as adults and face life in prison if convicted.
A full day of testimony is expected to continue Tuesday.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.