Transient badly burned when candle catches his clothes on fire

A homeless man is in the hospital after he was badly burned, and lost one of his fingers, outside a Mission Hills church.

The incident happened around 11 p.m. Monday on Fort Stockton Drive.

Police say the man was sleeping next to a burning candle to keep warm and the flame apparently got too close to his duffle bag. The fire quickly spread to the man's clothing and he somehow lost a finger when he tried to pat down the flames.

An officer retrieved the man's finger and the victim was rushed to a nearby hospital where he underwent surgery. His condition is unknown.

Print this article Back to Top