Toddler recovering quickly after being bitten by snake

Child suffered three bites to his stomach

JAMUL, Calif. - A toddler hospitalized after being bitten by a baby rattlesnake is back home with his family.

Relatives say 17-month-old A.J. Taylor was playing in the backyard of his Deerhorn Valley home Friday when the snake bit him on his stomach three times.

Dian Taylor showed 10News the backyard patio where her grandson was playing Friday afternoon. She said it  happened so fast.

"It's a traumatic experience, it really is and especially because he's so young," she said.

The family says they have noticed more rattlesnakes coming out of their habitat because of the warm weather. They found another one after bringing the child home Saturday.

"They blend in so well that you can't see them that good and people should be aware it can happen so fast," Taylor said.

A doctor who treated the child told 10News the little boy is fortunate to be alive and that it could have been much worse if more venom was released into his system.

The toddler's family hopes the incident will serve as a reminder for people to be extra cautious when outdoors this time of year.

They are thankful A.J. is recovering so quickly.

"It's good to see him happy and smiling and playing," said Jessica Taylor.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments