Suspicious devices found at Lafayette Elementary School: Devices described as 'acid bombs'

Authorities: Boy, 15, admits planting devices

SAN DIEGO - For a third time in as many days, crude explosive devices made from plastic bottles turned up Wednesday morning at a Clairemont Mesa primary school, after which investigators tracked down a teenage boy who confessed to tossing all the potentially dangerous devices onto the campus playground.

The latest discovery of so-called pressure bombs -- which are made with household chemicals that, when mixed in a tightly sealed container, cause a loud blast -- was reported about 8:30 a.m. at Lafayette Elementary on Printwood Way, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

A bomb squad was called in to safely destroy the objects, SDFRD spokesman Maurice Luque said.

Investigators looking over the scene decided that all the bottle bombs found at the school since Monday appeared to possibly have come from a neighboring residential yard, and they located the 15-year-old suspect at a nearby home. When confronted by the detectives, the boy admitted that he was responsible, Luque said.

The teen, whose name was withheld because he is a minor, was turned over the custody of his parents on their promise to enroll him in a counseling course for youths caught using explosives or playing with fire, the spokesman said.

Only one of the devices -- among the pair found Monday -- detonated, officials said. It had gone off at an unknown time earlier that day or over the previous weekend, and caused no damage.

The school is out of session this week, though teachers and other staffers remain on campus.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments