Students return to class after threat shut down four Escondido charter schools

ESCONDIDO, Calif. - Students at four charter schools in downtown Escondido returned to class Tuesday after a threat of violence prompted administrators to cancel classes last week.

The threat, which police discovered on social media last Thursday, was specific to Escondido Charter High. The poster claimed they were going to shoot up the school and then commit suicide.

The high school and three other schools under American Heritage Charter Schools were shut down on Friday.

Police say their investigation led them to a student, who has since been cleared. Investigators believe another person was posing as the student online and they are working hard to track down the culprit. The person responsible for the threat faces felony charges.

Meanwhile, police said they were confident there would not be any violence at the schools on Tuesday.

Student Robert Cazares said, "I'm kind of nervous, not sure if everything's done with. I don't know what to expect today."

Some parents told 10News on Tuesday that they have faith the police and school administration have done what's needed to keep their kids safe.

Parent Theresa Hoff said, "I felt the authorities were taking care of it."

Debbie Cain, another parent, added, "They have the gates locked, they have security, they all know everyone who's here."

10News noticed there was a visible presence of staff members posted in front of the schools. According to school officials, they have a plan in place to make sure kids stay safe, but they would not talk specifics.

Faculty and staff will meet after school Tuesday to discuss how the day went and how they can improve on security.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments