Staff member at Porter Elementary School has infection from meningococcal bacteria
Third case in San Diego reported this year
Last Updated: 259 days ago
SAN DIEGO - A third case of an infection caused by meningococcal bacteria has been reported and this time it's a staff member at a local elementary school who is infected.
The San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency said parents of students at Porter Elementary School should watch for symptoms in their children, though the risk was low. According to a news release, the last time the staff member was at the school was March 15.
No further information about the staff member was immediately available, including his or her condition.
Meningococcal disease is spread through close contact including drinking and eating from the same utensils, kissing, smoking and living in close quarters. It can take up to 10 days for symptoms to develop.
Symptoms include fever, headache, lethargy, stiff neck and a rash.
Health department leaders said anyone with those symptoms should immediately seek medical care.
The staff member is the third case of meningcoccal disease this year. A 39-year-old man died, and a baby is recovering.
Eighteen cases of the bacterial disease have been confirmed in Tijuana since January 4, including six deaths.
A vaccine is available to prevent certain strains of meningococcal disease and is routinely recommended for children 11 to 18 years of age.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.