Spring Valley apartment fire sparked by child moving lit candle

Red Cross called in to assist residents

LEMON GROVE, Calif. - A young child moved a lit candle to an unsafe location, sparking an apartment fire in Spring Valley, authorities said Wednesday.
   
The noninjury fire at 9034 Kenwood Drive erupted shortly before 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to San Diego County sheriff's Sgt. Julio Sandoval.
   
The fire started in a top floor back bedroom of a two-story apartment unit, the sergeant said in a statement.
   
A damage estimate was pending.
   
Deputies helped evacuate residents while firefighters put out the blaze, Sandoval said, noting the American Red Cross was called to assist affected residents.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments