Sex offender pleads not guilty in sex case

EL CAJON, Calif. - A previously paroled sex offender accused of sexually assaulting a 70-year-old Jacumba resident in her home pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges of assault with intent to commit a sex offense and hot prowl residential burglary.

John Wilson Kreischer, 68, whose criminal history includes convictions for forcible rape and lewd conduct with a child under 14 from the 1970s and 80s, was ordered held on $1 million bail.

Kreischer faces 41 years to life in prison if convicted of the current charges, said Deputy District Attorney Kerry Conway.

The defendant allegedly entered the 70-year-old woman's house late Monday morning, then forcibly kissed and fondled her. After several minutes, her attacker left and drove off in a white pickup truck, according to sheriff's investigators.

The woman then made an emergency call. A short time later, deputies found Kreischer in the area and took him into custody.

Kreischer had been on parole due to a 2009 arrest for failing to register as a sex offender. Kreischer was previously registered in San Diego, and as a transient in Lemon Grove, sheriff's officials said.

10News interviewed Kreischer in 2013 after San Diego police circulated a flier with his picture and the designation "former sexually violent predator" after he had moved into a downtown hotel.

In the interview, Kreischer said, "What I am is ... I'm classified as high risk; that's the terminology the police department puts on you."

He denied being a danger to the public, adding, "Not at all. I don't jump out of trees, from behind bushes, stalk people, running around, do anything. I made a mistake. I did five years. I went through all the testing; they test you frontwards, backwards, every which way."

Kreschier also noted in the interview that he was on supervised parole and GPS-monitored.

"I'm on an ankle bracelet. If I go anywhere they know right away," he said at the time.

A year later, he's back before a judge on sex-related charges.

Judge Evan Kirvin scheduled a readiness conference for July 30 and an Aug. 5 preliminary hearing.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments