Military officials say no security changes being made at San Diego bases after DC shooting

SAN DIEGO - No security changes were immediately made at military bases around San Diego County following Monday's fatal shootings at a Navy facility in Washington, D.C.

"Right now, we're maintaining our current force protection profile," said Petty Officer 1st Class Bill Larned, of Navy Region Southwest, which operates bases in San Diego.

Larned told City News Service that members of the public who have to go to a Navy base can expect normal security procedures.

Marine Cpl. Michael Iams told CNS that no security changes had been made at Camp Pendleton, either.

The shootings at the Washington Navy Yard, the headquarters of the Navy Sea Systems Command, killed at least a dozen people, according to D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray and Metropolitan police Chief Cathy Lanier.

The suspect in the Navy Yard shooting, identified as 34-year-old former Navy reservist Aaron Alexis, had access and knowledge of the base -- exactly the same scenario in the shooting at Fort Hood in 2009.

Security expert Glen Winn said, "The card he had in his possession had either the chips in it or some other identity that allowed him to rapidly enter on to the floors of the building."

Authorities said Alexis entered the storied facility in the morning, went to an upper floor of the Sea Systems Command building and started shooting down toward the cafeteria.

Winn, who has been on the base as a consultant, told 10News, "You have to have a badge that gets you into a building and you can't go from building to building with the same badge; different buildings require different qualifications."

The Chief of Naval Operations is also at the facility, so access is somewhat restricted, according to Winn.

Print this article Back to Top