San Francisco crash landing causes cancelations, delays at Lindbergh Field a day later

Passengers describe surreal scene leaving SFO

SAN DIEGO - At Lindbergh Field, cancelations, delays and confusion were still plaguing travelers flying into and out of San Francisco a day after an Asiana Airlines flight crash landed at San Francisco International Airport.

"I've experienced the worst trip," said Huyen Ngo.

Her morning flight to San Francisco got canceled, and she was rebooked on a 9 p.m. flight. When she first arrived at the airport Sunday, she was greeted with confusion.

"I got here and checked and it said canceled. I went to the airlines and they said no it's delayed. I said, no, it's canceled. They said yes, it's canceled."

Dan Koulianos got even later notice.

"We were boarding and got sent a text message … our flight was canceled," he said.

He decided to rent a car and drive to San Francisco.

In all – about 13 flights to and from San Francisco were canceled Sunday – with a handful of delays.

About half of all San Francisco flights were impacted in some way after the crash landing left SFO operating at 50 percent capacity for much of the day on Sunday. By mid-afternoon, SFO's third of four runways reopened.

Jami Margolis' flight out of San Francisco began with a surreal trip down the runway.

"We were taxing down the runway and to our left we saw the plane," she said. "It was upsetting to see the plane just sitting there, knowing what we saw yesterday and coming onto a plane today to travel. It was scary."

Melissa Keller's flight from San Francisco was delayed about 30 minutes. The Carlsbad resident's original flight was Saturday. She was at the airport when the crash landing happened.

"I just saw big black smoke, said Keller. "We weren't sure what was going on."

Keller's friend, Cameron Lowman, told 10News, "We looked out the window and said, 'Oh my goodness.'"

He said after their flight was canceled, they spent a sobering night at a hotel, trying to process the tragedy. The next day, it was a trip filled with anxiety.

"The flight attendants really emphasized what to do in an emergency," said Lowman. "You could tell people were a little more nervous, more tense. We're just glad to be here in San Diego."

Print this article Back to Top