San Diego County Courthouse courtroom closed after MRSA infection report
Sheriff's deputy reported having infection on foot
Last Updated: 252 days ago
SAN DIEGO - A courtroom at the San Diego County Courthouse was closed for several hours Tuesday after a female sheriff's deputy reported that she had been diagnosed with a serious bacterial infection on her foot.
There was no exposure to the public, Superior Court spokeswoman Karen Dalton said.
The deputy apparently reported the MRSA infection Friday and the first-floor misdemeanor courtroom was wiped down and sanitized immediately.
Court officials learned of the situation Tuesday and "out of an abundance of caution," the courtroom was cleaned again, Dalton said.
MRSA is a bacteria that causes infections in different parts of the body and is tougher to treat than most staph infections because it's resistant to some commonly used antibiotics.
The courtroom was expected to reopen Wednesday.
Copyright 2013 by City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.