Possible chemical spill at Carlsbad building
Last Updated: 48 days ago
SAN DIEGO - A spill of hazardous waste in a storage area at a Carlsbad contact lens manufacturing firm sent noxious fumes through the area Tuesday afternoon and forced evacuations at the business.
The noninjury accident at the SynergEyes complex in the 2200 block of Rutherford Road was reported shortly after 4 p.m., according to police.
Initial reports indicated that it was a possible chemical spill. Some witnesses told authorities they saw vapors coming from under a door.
By the time emergency crews arrived, the management of the company had cleared all workers from the buildings, Lt. Peter Pascual said. No other evacuations were necessary, Pascual said.
A county hazardous-materials team was dispatched to deal with the waste, the nature of which was not immediately clear.
10News learned the business will reopen Wednesday.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. City News Service contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.