Poll: Mayor Bob Filner's support down to 1 in 7 San Diegans; 81 percent say he should resign
Recall effort officially kicked off overnight
Last Updated: 109 days ago
SAN DIEGO - San Diegans are divided on whether it will be difficult to gather the necessary signatures to recall Mayor Bob Filner in the 39 days permitted by law, but overwhelmingly they are ready to sign a recall petition, according to an exclusive poll released Sunday by 10News/U-T San Diego.
Of the 600 San Diego respondents, Filner's support is down to one in seven city residents, with 81 percent saying he should resign and just 14 percent saying he should stay.
This comes after a 16th woman came forward accusing the mayor of sexually harassing her.
Nearly three quarters of those who took part in the survey say they would sign a recall petition if put in front of them.
According the results, 15 percent of San Diegans say they would donate money to the recall effort and 20 percent say they would volunteer to help a recall campaign.
The poll numbers were released just hours after the recall effort officially kicked off overnight, and right now volunteers are continuing to collect signatures at one of the biggest races held in San Diego: the America's Finest City Half Marathon and 5K.
The survey also found that among possible Filner replacements, should the Mayor not survive his term:
- Jan Goldsmith is viewed favorably by 38 percent, unfavorably by 20 percent.
- Carl DeMaio is viewed favorably by 33 percent registered voters, unfavorably by 33 percent.
- Donna Frye is viewed favorably by 30 percent, unfavorably by 34 percent.
- Nathan Fletcher is viewed favorably by 28 percent of registered voters, unfavorably by 14 percent.
- Todd Gloria is viewed favorably by 26 percent, unfavorably by 16 percent.
- Christine Kehoe is viewed favorably by 24 percent, unfavorably by 25 percent.
- Kevin Faulconer is viewed favorably by 19 percent, unfavorably by 17 percent.
See SurveyUSA interactive tracking graphs to study the erosion in Filner support, in 6 SurveyUSA polls going back to July 12.
Team 10 Special Coverage - Mayor Filner Under Fire: http://bit.ly/1biL1bF
GET NEWS FIRST: To get breaking news updates as they happen, download the 10News app for iPhone, iPad, Android and Kindle: http://bit.ly/1apjXpd.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.