Police say suspected road rage incident led to Midway-area rollover crash

Crash happened Locust, Lytton streets

SAN DIEGO - A young man was arrested Monday after allegedly pointing a gun at another motorist while driving along a Midway-area street, then crashing the pickup truck he was driving and making a failed attempt to escape on foot.

The road rage-fueled traffic crash occurred at Locust and Lytton streets shortly before 12:30 p.m., according to San Diego police.

A man identified as Tony, said, "I think he had road rage or something."

Tony and the pickup truck were driving next to each other briefly when a strange exchange followed.  

"Yeah, he had his window down. He pointed the gun at me and just said, 'What's up, cuz?' [I] didn't say anything back to him and kind of looked at him. [I] decided to follow him," Tony said.

Tony added, "They ran through the stop sign at about 60 [mph] and got swiped, and the car flipped over and they all started running out of the car."

"I was just driving through; I don't have a stop sign. He sped through and I clipped his back fender. He flipped over a couple of times," said driver Chad Phillips, who escaped the incident uninjured. His vehicle's damage was relatively minor.

The truck also hit a Jeep parked along the street.

After crashing the truck, which had four people in it, the gun-wielding driver ran off, SDPD Detective Gary Hassen said. Medics took at least one person to UCSD Medical Center for treatment of serious injuries.

Tony called 911 as people in the neighborhood chased down the driver and held him for police. Two passengers got away and a third was arrested at the scene.

The driver was believed to be in his late teens or early 20s. His name was not immediately available.

It was unclear what led to the confrontation between the two motorists, Hassen said.

Police concluded there was no handgun involved, though there had appeared to be one.

SDPD Lt. Natalie Stone told 10News, "There was an air pistol with an air cartridge recovered at the scene; no real gun."

After all the excitement, Tony said he'd not been overly frightened.

"It was broad daylight on a main street. Nothing was going to happen," said Tony.


Print this article Back to Top