Police: No criminal charges pending in El Capitan boat collision

SAN DIEGO - A 20-year-old boater killed along with a passenger in a collision with another vessel last month on El Capitan Reservoir was traveling the wrong way in a designated travel lane at the time of the accident, authorities said Wednesday.

Russell Mendez, was taking a northbound heading in an area marked by buoys for southbound vessel traffic when his Bayliner boat crashed into a Nitro-brand vessel in an area known as "the Narrows" shortly before 7:30 p.m. July 31, according to San Diego police.

Emergency personnel immediately found the body of Mendez's passenger, 21-year-old Jeffry Ingram. Mendez remained missing until the following afternoon, when lifeguard divers found his body under about 35 feet of water.

The other boater, Edward Davies, 78, and a passenger in his vessel were treated at a hospital for minor injuries.

Investigators have determined that alcohol was not a factor in the accident, San Diego Police Department Capt. Jerry Hara said.

No criminal charges are pending in the case, though the results of the police investigation will be submitted to the District Attorney's Office for a final review, Hara said.

10News reporter Rielle Creighton spoke to the families of both men who were killed, who were furious about the turn the investigation has taken.

10News was the first to tell Ingram's parents that as of now, no charges will be filed. Rick and Mary Ingram sent this statement to 10News:

"We are understandably upset and dismayed that we had to hear the results of the police investigation through the media, rather than the detective who had been our contact. We will be issuing a further response after we are able to review the full police report. In addition, we would like to send out a big thank you to the San Diego community, and especially the fishing community, for all their support of both families."

Print this article Back to Top

Comments