Point Loma apartment fire caused by exploding vapors from bathtub refinishing project

SAN DIEGO - Exploding vapors from a bathtub refinishing project caused the fire Saturday in a two-story, 28-unit apartment building on Point Loma that sent three people to a hospital for treatment, firefighters said Sunday.

"The Chatsworth Boulevard apartment fire was caused by ignitable vapors," said San Diego Fire-Rescue spokesman Lee Swanson. "The bathtub was being refinished and vapors were ignited by electrical equipment used by the refinisher. He was taken to the hospital with burns."

Swanson said the blaze caused an estimated $300,000 in damages.

A call came in for the two-alarm fire at 2:36 p.m. and 60 firefighters responding had it knocked down at 2:58 p.m.

One apartment unit was heavily damaged and several adjoining units had smoke damage.

Swanson said a San Diego police officer suffered from smoke inhalation and was hospitalized. Another woman in the apartment complex was also taken to a hospital for treatment after complaining of dizziness and shortness of breath.

The Red Cross assisted 20 to 25 people displaced by the fire to find temporary housing.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments