Girl contracts brain-eating parasite after playing in Ark. water park lake
Last Updated: 135 days ago
A 12-year-old girl is fighting for her life Tuesday after officials said she contracted a brain-eating parasite after playing at a water park in a lake near Little Rock, Ark.
Kali Hardig became ill after playing in the lake water and doctors believe she has rare meningitis caused by a the parasite.
In the last 10 years, there have been only 50 cases of the disease reported in the U.S. The disease kills 99 percent of the people who contract it.
Just three years ago, another child died from the infection after swimming in the same lake.
The parasite enters the body and brain through the nose.
Owners of the water park shut it down for the summer.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.