East I-8 reopens after a shooting investigation shut down a part of the freeway

Passenger shot in arm, taken to hospital

SAN DIEGO - A man was wounded by gunfire in Mission Valley early Monday while riding in a car on Interstate 8.

A 22-year-old motorist made an emergency call about 2 a.m. to report that her eastbound 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt had been fired on by an unknown assailant on the freeway, near Texas Street, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Her front-seat passenger, a 27-year-old San Diego man, suffered a bullet wound to his right arm, CHP public affairs Officer Jake Sanchez said. Medics took him to Scripps Mercy Hospital, where he was treated and released later in the morning.

The driver, a San Diego woman, was uninjured, though her car had sustained damage from several gunshots, Sanchez said.

The Highway Patrol closed the eastbound side of the interstate in the area for about three hours, starting at 3:30 a.m., while searching for evidence.

It remained unclear Monday afternoon if the gunfire had emanated from another vehicle or from the roadside, according to Sanchez.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Click to Like the ABC10 Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/ABC10News) or follow @10News on Twitter: (https://twitter.com/10News)

Also download our 10News mobile and tablet apps to stay up-to-date with developing stories when you are on the go: http://www.10news.com/about/mobile.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments