Odie Miller pleads not guilty to stabbing in University City area

SAN DIEGO - A 20-year-old man accused of randomly targeting and inflicting more than 40 stab wounds on a biotech executive who was walking to a luncheon meeting near the Westfield mall in University City pleaded not guilty Monday to charges of attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon.

Odie James Miller was ordered held on $500,000 bail.

Prosecutor Geoff Allard said Miller was on probation for a similar knife attack last year involving family members when he allegedly assaulted the biotech executive last Wednesday, apparently without provocation, in the area of Renaissance Avenue and Towne Centre Drive near UTC shortly after noon.

The 44-year-old victim suffered non-life-threatening stab wounds to his head, neck, upper body, arms and hands and is recovering at home, Allard said.

The suspect escaped, and had been thought to be holed up inside a home in the 4300 block of Rolando Boulevard, near College and University avenues, SDPD Officer Frank Cali said.

Police went to the residence shortly before 2:30 a.m. last Thursday and called in a special weapons and tactics squad a short time later. The SWAT officers eventually entered and found that Miller was not there. It was unclear if he had ever been inside the home.

About 10:40 a.m. Thursday, officers located the suspect at Broadway and Park Boulevard in downtown San Diego and took him into custody following a brief struggle, Cali said.

Miller faces nearly 13 years in prison if convicted of the charges and allegations that he inflicted great bodily injury on the victim and personally used a weapon, Allard said.

Judge David Szumowski scheduled a readiness conference for Aug. 20 and a preliminary hearing for Aug. 22.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments